Note: The 2011 contest has closed, but you can see the winning photos here.
Can your pictures show the power of your community and your work? We think so, and we're inviting MRG Foundation grantees to show off your group with pictures. Your organization has a chance to win a $500 prize, and sharpen your photography skills. We'll feature the winning photos at our Justice within Reach party on May 7, 2011 for all of our community to appreciate.
To be eligible for submission into the contest, photos must:
- Be taken anytime between July 1, 2010 and March 15, 2011.
- Be submitted by eligible MRG grantees (see the list of eligible groups as a PDF).
- Depict activities related to the grantee’s work.
Photos will be judged and the three prizes awarded based on:
- A compelling depiction of the grantee’s work (social justice in action)
- Their artistic or dramatic quality
Grand Prize: $500 for the grantee organization
Second and Third Place: $250 for the grantee organization
Full Photo Contest Rules:
- Photos must be of social justice activities in Oregon that have taken place since July 1, 2010.
- Photos must be submitted between January 3, 2011 and March 15, 2011 at 5 PM (PT) using this electronic form on our website. Do not email submissions.
- Photos must be submitted by MRG Foundation grantees who have received a grant since July 1, 2009 (a General Fund, Peace Fund, Travel or Critical Response Grant) or are active in MRG Foundation’s MIC Project. (Here is a list of eligible groups in PDF format.) The grantee group must be clearly identified when the photo is submitted for consideration.
- Submissions from individuals not via an MRG grantee will be discarded.
- Any eligible MRG Foundation grantee can submit up to five photos for consideration. An organization can only win one of the three cash prizes ($500 or $250).
- The three grantees that win a cash prize will each receive two free tickets to the Justice within Reach event where their winning photo will be on display.
- Only digital images will be accepted. Photo files must be at least 300 DPI. Photo files must be JPGs, GIFs, PNGs or TIFFs.
- Each photo must be submitted individually, and have the name of the group in the file name.
- Photos can not have been altered electronically other than cropping, brightening and contrast.
- Photos can be used for other purposes by the grantee group, as long as they are not commercial purposes, prior to and following submission to MRG Foundation. (Photos cannot be sold, for example.)
- Any identifiable individuals in the photo need to have been informed of possible uses of the photo and given their permission via a release. Submitting organization is responsible for getting appropriate permissions.
- We will not accept photos of young children unless their parents have signed written releases for use of the photo. (Here's a sample photo release form.)
- All photos submitted become the property of MRG Foundation for use under a creative commons license (share-alike, non-commercial).
- Photos taken by any individual serving on the judging panel are not eligible for consideration.
- The decisions of the Justice within Reach selection panel are final.
Submit Your Photos by March 15, 2011 at 5 PM
You can submit your photos using this electronic form. If you have questions, please email Kathleen.
The contest rules were last updated on January 3, 2011.